Tuesday, September 26, 2017

PART 7: HIGH AND HIGHER (EDUCATION)

Cornell, with Cayuga Lake in the background
     PART 7: HIGH AND HIGHER (EDUCATION)


Cornell University, with Cayuga Lake in the background

Everything I expected Cornell to give me, it gave me in larger quantities than I could handle. Edgewood hadn’t challenged me intellectually, I was looking forward to taking courses taught by professors who knew more than I did and attended by students who knew almost as much. My parents and Edgewood treated me like a prodigy, and compared to my high school classmates, I was; how could I have known that the sampling was defective, that I was more than a bright kid with a second-class secondary education?

In fact, my only talent that was in any way prodigious was spelling. I was told that I had been the best speller in the first grade, while we still lived in California, and had won a spelling bee, of which I had no memory, but because I read all the time, I did have a lot of vocabulary to flash around. At Edgewood, I once called my roommate a lugubrious dolt, just to impress the other people in the room, and the tag caught on; kids were calling each other that for months. I set all the trends. When I got interested in photography (my parents had given me a Rolleicord for my birthday), everyone at school started asking their parents to buy them cameras. When I got my ham radio license, the entire boy’s dorm would gather around my Hallicrafters receiver (my Dad wanted to encourage my technical inclinations) to listen to the inane argot of amateur broadcasters all over the world. Someone in Texas would drone, over and over, “CQ DX, CQ DX, this is W2XYZ calling CQ DX on the 20-meter phone band.” (Translation: I seek you if you’re some distance away for a chat by voice, not code.) Someone in Finland might reply, always in English, though heavily accented. Did these conversations herald the coming of the internet? No, they were even more inane. All the other hams did was describe their equipment to each other, down to the last vacuum tube.

But college academics were much more demanding than I had expected. Spelling and using big words (like sesquipedalian, which means using big words) failed to impress; the first was taken for granted and the second was dismissed as an affectation. I wrote well enough to get an A in English 101 in my first semester, but I hadn’t acquired study habits at a high school where studying was unnecessary. I barely squeaked through geology, the favorite required science course of people in the humanities, in which we had to do not much more than recognize and identify rocks. I can still picture both orthoclase and plagioclase feldspar, about as useless a piece of knowledge as I possess.  And I failed my first exam in Professor Simon’s European history course. A single essay question – “Define the ‘medieval synthesis’ and support your definition with examples.”
” -- counted for 70%. I had no idea what the medieval synthesis was, though it must have figured prominently in Simon’s lectures, and in the readings, to both of which I thought I’d been paying attention. I knew what “medieval” meant, and that “synthesizing” was about combining things, but what things? The answer Simon was looking for was “faith plus reason,” which was not among the guesses I made. I got all the short answers right, but my grade on the exam was 59 – an “F.” I was devastated. Years and years of undeserved self-esteem fell away, as I realized that my native gifts, such as they were, wouldn’t suffice to get me a real college education. So, for the first time in my life, I buckled down.

So diligently did I study that I missed out on most of the important extracurricular activities that make the college experience meaningful. I’d acted in high school, but it never occurred to me to audition for the Cornell Drama Society. Though I would never have made the varsity baseball team (the first-base position was always given to whatever football player wanted it), what would have been the harm in trying out for it?  I could certainly write better than most undergraduates, but I never submitted anything to the Cornell Widow (the humor magazine) or the Daily Sun. There were dozens of clubs, societies, and interest groups available to me, in which I’d have met interesting people with common interests.

Instead, I joined a fraternity. It wasn’t just loneliness that drove me into the Greek world; living in a frat house sophomore year, as a lot of people did, was cheaper than the dorms, and offered three meals a day and a place to sleep and study. Living in the frat house was like living in an army barracks; everyone slept upstairs in bunk beds stuffed into one giant dormitory. The food better than just all right and there was a lot of it; the most popular lunch was what everyone called “gunge” – macaroni and sliced up hot dogs in tomato sauce. Vegetables were in short supply, but no one complained. 

The arrangement was bearable for a year, after which it expired to make room for the incoming sophomores, and I resigned from the fraternity along with about half my pledge class. I had made some friends, and gotten my studies under control, but the prefabricated social life I had entered, though it spared me the bother of creating one for myself, didn’t suit me. Pi Lambda Phi had a reputation for being a bit more subdued and liberal (if that word has any meaning in the Greek universe) than the other fraternities, partly because though it was mostly Jewish, it had a sprinkling of minority members – a couple of black guys, an Arab, a Latino or two. But it was still a frat house, which meant parties every weekend at which people got shitfaced on the local beer (Genesee; it was awful) and milk punch, (which was worse: imagine mixing milk and cheap Scotch and drinking that for an entire evening.) It wasn’t as raunchy as Animal House, but I hardly drank at all during the year I lived at Pi Lam, and the available girls who turned up at those parties weren’t interested in young, nerdy, inexperienced guys like me. It turned out that the non-Jewish fraternities (which we Jews called the “white houses”) was where the action was, or at least that was what their members bragged. Nice Jewish girls in the 50’s didn’t put out, but the shikse sorority girls, according to rumor, did. One of my frat brothers overheard a conversation in which one of the latter said to her friend, “Boy, did I grab a handful of balls lasgt night!” Still, Jews have been known to have sex. Spring Weekend was the traditional occasion when your date or your girlfriend or your fianceé was supposed to come across. But the University took a dim view of premarital relations, and it was rumored that they sent spies to the police the festivities. “Keep it in your knickers,” admonished Pi Lam’s president at lunch on the Friday of the big weekend. There happened to be a girl present, someone’s date who had arrived early, and she turned the color of a ripe tomato in August.

By this time, I had a steady girlfriend, a relationship that lasted throughout college but ended almost immediately after.



Sue was sweet (though at the time, I’d have preferred edgy) , and as innocent, as she looks in her picture. We were introduced by my friend East Hampton friend Sue Tonkonogy, on whom I’d had a crush since I’d met her on the beach, but she wanted to see if she could snag a lifeguard, so we remained just friends, and indeed, it was nice to have someone I knew up there when I arrived. Sue Itkin was one of her roommates, and I didn’t so much fall in love as fall into a relationship that worked for me. We liked the same people, the same food (there was an awful Chinese restaurant downtown, where they put bread and butter on the table when you sat down) and a not-half-bad Italian red-sauce joint, the same films (there were four movie theaters in Ithaca whose names no one could be bothered remembering, so they were universally referred to as the Near Near, the Near Far, the Far Near and the Far Far). Sue thought of me as the sophisticated New Yorker and I thought of her as provincial since she came from Brooklyn, though in fact, I probably learned more from her about the world than she did from me. She was more open to new experiences than I was. She took two courses taught by a Russian emigré named Vladimir Nabokov of whom I had never heard, and ignored the raves she and other students bestowed on him until one day I condescended to audit one of his classes and was transfixed. His courses were mobbed; in addition to the registered students, there were dozens of transients like me, standing in the back of his 300-seat lecture hall.  It won’t surprise anyone now to learn that he was a brilliant, witty and iconoclastic lecturer, who sight-translated passages from Anna Karenina that revealed the shortcomings of the text we were reading, and whose tastes in the novelists of the recent past seemed, and still seem, highly idiosyncratic: He hated Dostoevsky (and Mann, Balzac and Faulkner) and loved Tolstoy (and Jane Austen). The next semester, I registered for his course in the European novel, but Lolita had just been published and he no longer had to teach to earn a living.

Sue had grown up in Midwood, a residential section of Brooklyn that couldn’t have been more different from my Upper West Side except for the preponderance of Jews in its population. It had a suburban feel to it: I had thought everyone in New York City lived in an apartment building or a brownstone, and when I first saw Midwood, I was disconcerted to find street after street of row houses, comfortable and spacious but in no way fancy, jammed so closely together that there was hardly room for a driveway to the garage in back.


 
Sue's block in Midwood
All the smart kids who grew up there, including Sue, attended Midwood High School, which was a Cornell feeder school. Unlike me, she had a support group; four of her classmates arrived in Ithaca with her.



Hardly Animal House!  Sue and I are center rear at this Pi Lam formal


Sue was no more religious than I was, but her parents were less culturally assimilated than mine, and they seemed a little unhappy about her dating a boy who was from Manhattan, had never been inside a synagogue, and seemed to think he was better than anyone else. My mother happened to meet them at some function connected to the school, and wrote me an awful, snobbish letter about what vulgar people they were, which Sue found, read, and was deeply wounded by.

We spent a romantic night in a hotel on the Left Bank when our paths crossed in Paris during the summer of 1957, but I Paris had more to do with that than either of us, and I had no intention of getting married at age 20. Too bad in some ways, because we were perfectly compatible, and might have had a very satisfactory marriage, but I wasn’t ready and I knew it. After we graduated and left Ithaca, she for her parents’ home in Brooklyn and me for my mother’s apartment in New York, the logistics of our relationship, particularly transportation, were daunting, and though she seemed content to stay on the same footing as always, all her college girlfriends were marrying their boyfriends, and I felt a lot of unspoken pressure from them and from her parents. So I ended it. Well, like Rick and Ilse, we’d always have Paris.

My grades improved as the semesters went past. I squeaked through the non-elective requirements, like psych and sociology, the easiest social science courses offered, and satisfied my science requirement with geology, as did many Arts majors. I can still spot the difference between orthoclase and plagioclase feldspar, which was one of the questions on the midterm exam. By my junior year, I had begun to study what interested me. My major, of course, was English, but I had a double minor in art history and philosophy, the latter a hot topic on that campus in those days. Cornell was an outpost of Logical Positivism; its founder, Ludwig Wittgenstein, had almost literally died in the arms of Norman Malcolm, the Philosophy Department’s chairman. My best friend by that time was Jerry Ziegman, a philosophy major, with whom I would argue about such things as whether, if someone said to you “I feel a pain in that light bulb,” you would have to accept the statement as valid. Wittgenstein would have said it was. Jerry came from Omaha, which is not thought of as an incubator of metaphysical thought, but it had other charms for me. When I visited him there one summer, I thought that at last I’d discovered America. It was like a preview of American Graffiti – an car-based culture in which sixteen-year-olds drove aimlessly around in their parents’ Buicks, stopping at hamburger joints where waitresses on roller skates hooked your tray to the driver’s side window, after which you went “whipping through Memorial,” which was driving the twisty roads of a large park just close enough to the speed limit not to get pulled over. Jerry’s father owned a bowling alley cum steak house; the prime ribeyes came from the family’s own dry-aging room,and I’ve never eaten beef that good anywhere else.

By my senior year, I could choose to take only the courses in which I was interested, and I was getting all A’s, finally making Dean’s List and graduating in the top third of the class of 1959 –a barely respectable record, certainly not a distinguished one. There were some wonderful professors in Cornell’s English Department when I was there. My advisor was Meyer Abrams, editor-in-chief of the Norton Anthology of English Literature, who was still an active scholar fifty years after I graduated. There was Walt Slatoff, my favorite creative writing teacher, who sent one of my stories to an anthology published every year of the best American undergraduate writing; they turned it down because they said it didn’t have enough plot, but Walt told me that plot was the least important thing about narrative fiction -- perhaps a premonition of postmodernism on both our parts.  There were Arthur Mizener who wrote a great book on Fitzgerald; John Senior who taught us The Way Down and Out; and Robert Martin Adams, whose researches into James Joyce’s youth I had aided through Brian Callahan. It was in Adams’s class that I almost enjoyed my fifteen minutes of fame. He was talking about Joyce’s incredible powers of retention. “Take this word, sjambok, which appears in Ulysses,” said Adams to the 100 or so students in the room. “No one in this room, in this university, in this state knows what that means.” He paused. “Am I wrong?”

He was wrong. I knew what it meant, or thought I did. I seemed to remember that somewhere, somehow, I had read that a sjambok was a whip made by tribespeople in South Africa out of the dried foreskin of a rhinoceros’s penis. But how sure was I? If I was right, I might have become a hero – wasn’t my reputation at Edgewood based in large part on my vocabulary? But if I was wrong – if a sjambok turned out to be a Belgian wafflemaker – I might have become the laughing stock of the campus: “You know what this guy said in Adams’s class this morning?” I sat on my hands. “I didn’t think so,” said Adams. “A sjambok happens to be a whip made by tribespeople in South Africa out of the dried foreskin of a rhinoceros’s penis.” I had simply lacked the guts to do what a girl sitting next to me in philosophy class did later that semester. She happened to be knitting when the youngish, smart-ass professor broke off what he was saying and said to her, "Miss Nieman! You're aware, aren’t you, that Freud called knitting a displaced form of masturbation?" There was an audible gasp from the rest of us; people didn't talk like that in class then. Miss Nieman put down the scarf she was working on and said to the professor, "Dr. Shuster. When I knit, I knit. When I masturbate, I masturbate." That shut him up. She became my hero, and briefly famous on campus, the story spreading as quickly as if social media had existed to broadcast it.

During the spring of my junior year, my father died, suddenly and unexpected, of a massive heart attack. He was 60, and had never had any heart problems. His mentoring days were over when I left for boarding school, and we no longer knew each other very well by the time of his death – though an eerie thing happened the night before: he telephoned me (something he rarely did) and in a conversation that must have lasted an hour, we got everything settled. All the little areas of conflict, the arguments, the misunderstandings that had gone unresolved for the past few years – going back to my resentment at being shipped off the boarding school, and including his anxiety that in pursuing a major that prepared me for a career as a writer (or a copywriter), I was on a path to making all the mistakes he had made – all of it came out, and we reached a kind of understanding and acceptance of each other that we hadn’t enjoyed in years. He ended the conversation by saying, “Goodbye, son.” He never called me “Son,” and “Goodbye” had a ring of finality about it that struck me as odd. The next day, I got a phone call from Sidney Ross, a family friend, telling me that Dad had had a coronary during dinner at his apartment. It didn’t surprise me that it wasn’t my mother who called to break this news; she always disliked “scenes,” by which she meant any personal interaction marked by strong emotion. I flashed back instantly to “Goodbye, son.” I thought – and still think – that perhaps Dad had had had symptoms or warnings that he hadn’t shared with my mother but had hinted at to me.

I flew to New York that afternoon, and was met at La Guardia by Sidney Theo Bennahum, another friend of my parents. I knew when I saw their faces that my father was dead. “Gone?” I asked, and they just nodded, as we trudged through the terminal. I couldn’t hear anything; my ears were clogged from the cabin pressure or lack of it, and they stayed that way for two days, so that everything came through muffled, as at a distance. When I saw my mother, I thought she looked quite composed, waiting for me back at the apartment where Dad had died. We hugged, but didn’t have a lot to say to each other. Of course, the fact spoke for itself. There was no funeral, which bothered  me, but in truth I couldn’t wait to get away from New York. I was experiencing not grief but numbness, which persisted until I’d gotten back to Ithaca. When Sue put her arms around me, I started to cry, and to miss my father fiercely, but at the same time, I was consoled by that last conversation, grateful that all those ends were no longer loose.

And of course, I missed him, but his physical absence from my life was nothing new; except for summers, we hadn’t lived in the same place for seven years. My memories were all childhood ones, when I was closer to him than to my mother, to the point where our relationship was almost conspiratorial; she’d be out, doing something with her friends, and Dad and I would be, as he called it, “batching it.” This was the period of my life when I thought I’d be following his engineering bent, and we’d sometimes try solve mathematical puzzles. I remember running into the living room, where he was reading the post, and shouting, “Dad, I’ve trisected the angle!” He knew perfectly well that there was no way to do that, but he listened patiently to my cockamamie theory, happy just that I interested enough in mathematics to try. He couldn’t quite explain to me where I’d gone wrong, but he suggested I try it out on Mr. Scala when got back to Edgewood, who set me straight but shared my father’s fond amusement at my clumsy efforts. Or Dad might explain to me how the internal combustion engine worked – we both thought crankshafts were the neatest invention ever. These conversations were sometimes fairly abstruse, but I loved bathing in the fountain of his knowledge. He was very happy when I became interested in amateur radio; that summer, with his encouragement, I sent away for a kit from a company called Heathkit, from which to build an FM radio. I bought a soldering iron, and puzzled out the schematics, which are maps that indicate what gets attached where. These days, circuit boards for electronics like computers’ CPUs come pre-assembled by robots; you just slide the whole board into a slot until it docks with a click. Back then, before computers, there were dozens of wires, identifiable by the color of the insulation which covered them, which had to be partially stripped at each end so that they could be soldered to wherever terminal they were supposed to connect with. There were capacitors and resistors to be attached to each other and to the sockets of the vacuum tubes that were the forerunners of silicon chips. You poked the wire through a tiny opening, gave it a half turn, heated the joint with the soldering iron and then touched it with the end of the coil of solder, leaving a tiny molten dab. Too little and the joint wasn’t connected; too much and the solder could drip onto some other component and short it out. When I finished it at last, Dad and I turned it on expectantly, and it didn’t work. I was disconsolate; I had no idea how to troubleshoot it. But Dad took it down to a place on Amsterdam Avenue that fixed radios, and they discovered I’d made a single, easily-corrected mistake: a wire that shouldn’t have been grounded was touching the chassis, and the guy just pushed it away with his finger, plugged the radio in, and Mozart came pouring out. Dad said the shop owner was very impressed by the quality of my craftsmanship, and had sent me a message that I could have a job in his store any time. I don’t think Dad was ever more proud of me than he was that day.

Another accomplishment of mine that made both parents proud was my acting. Both my father and my mother took the train up to Greenwich to watch me in school plays, in which I always had the lead: I played the Pirate King in The Pirates of Penzance, the Mikado in The Mikado, and – my triumph – Malvolio in Twelfth Night. I forgave my mother for never schlepping up to the Greenwich YMCA to watch me play basketball, but I was disappointed that my father wasn’t interested enough to have put in a token appearance at one game. No one else’s parents attended either, of course. I wasn’t very good at either basketball or acting, but I was more proud of my turn-around jump shot than I was of my stage gravitas.

After my father’s death, my mother, who thought that money was the currency of love, became more indulgent of me. Apparently, she didn’t share my father’s penury, or perhaps the family finances weren’t in such bad shape after all.  She offered to buy me a car to take to school, which I knew would widen the boundaries of life in Ithaca immensely. She invited me to join her and her sister Eve on a trip to Europe that summer, but as it happened, Jerry Ziegman and two other guys were planning just such an excursion, so she let me go with them instead. And after graduation, when I couldn’t think of anything else to do but keep on going to school, she agreed to subsidize a year in a Master’s program. I was hungry to get back to New York, so my choices were Columbia, New York University, or the brand-new University Graduate Center, which I was much too snobbish to consider. I applied to Columbia, and was accepted – though without any scholarship or fellowship help. My advisor at Cornell, Professor Sale, whom everybody thought of as a curmudgeon but who was in fact one of the mentors I so needed after losing my father, had taken a shine to me in his Conrad seminar, in which I was one of three men among fifteen women, because only I knew what else besides a sextant you would need to navigate the Indian ocean. The answer seemed obvious to me, though to no one else: a clock. It wasn’t quite in the same league as knowing what a sjambok was, or trisecting the angle, but it impressed Sale, who was always insisting that our reading of fiction be grounded in real-world knowledge, particularly in the case of a writer like Conrad, so many of whose heroes were seamen. Sale had reluctantly written for me the letter of recommendation to Columbia that got me accepted, but he was adamant that I shouldn’t go. “Columbia is a terrible place,” he told me. “It’s a degree factory; no one will care about you; you’ll have a miserable time.” On his own initiative, he wrote to the chairman of the English Department of NYU about me, who in turn sent me a cordial letter, telling me I’d be very welcome to enter their graduate program. How nice was that? Perversely, I ignored both Sale’s advice and the letter of welcome. NYU did not then have the cachet it now possesses; it was a solid, second-rank commuter school. Columbia had Lionel Trilling, Mark van Doren, and Jacques Barzun. I passed on NYU and took myself to Morningside Heights. It was one of the biggest mistakes of my life. In the seven years I spent at Columbia, I caught only occasional glimpses of those luminaries, who taught only the undergraduates in Columbia College. The Graduate Faculties traded on the College’s reputation, and its atmosphere was a mixture of snobbery and self-satisfaction that would have been more at home at Oxford or Cambridge. Columbia treated its grad students with disdain, as if we didn’t deserve the second-rate education we were receiving. I didn’t know anyone in the doctoral program who was having a good time there; we simply weren’t meant to.

I would be coming home to the city, there was that. But it would be a very different home than the one I’d left ten years earlier. The prospect of Life with Mother was not entirely pleasant, but it seemed do-able – until she plunged a stake into my heart by moving us from West 67th Street to a much smaller and less charming apartment all the way east on 79th Street and 1st Avenue.  Mom had heard a rumor that 2 West would be going co-op, and she realized that buying our apartment at the insiders' price would be a good investment. But instead of consulting a reliable source to confirm the rumor, she called the managing agent, who of course lied to her, assuring her there was no chance of it happening. One more tenant down; one more unit that could be sold at market value. Even I could have told her that, but she never consulted me. And so ended the first of my two periods of residence on the Upper West Side.




       
                                                Columbia's campus, facing north toward Low Library

I would be coming home, there was that. But it would be a very different home than the one I’d left ten years earlier. The prospect of Life with Mother was not entirely pleasant, but it seemed do-able – until she plunged a stake into my heart by moving us from West 67th Street to a much smaller and less charming apartment all the way east on 79th. She had heard a rumor that 2 West would be going co-op, and she realized that buying our apartment at the insiders' price would be a good investment. But she instead of confirming the rumor from a reliable source, she called the managing agent, who of course assured her there was no chance of it happening. One more tenant down; one more unit that could be sold at market value. Even I could have told her that, but she never consulted me. And so ended the first of my two periods of residence on the Upper West Side. 


No comments:

Post a Comment